Saint Anselm Abbey Responds to the Coronavirus
Updated August 10, 2020
On March 18, 2020, we announced the suspension of public Masses in the Abbey Church due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, we are pleased to announce, in cooperation with Saint Anselm College policy, that the Abbey Church will undergo a limited re-opening. We are grateful to all our community members for their prayers, support, and work during this time. Please know that you all continue to be in our prayers.
Access to the Abbey Church
Beginning on Sunday August 16, 2020, the Abbey Church will open only to students, faculty, and staff during specific times. Due to ongoing concerns and in an effort to prevent unnecessary risk, we are unable to welcome off-campus visitors including family, friends, and alumni. We realize this is disappointing to many, but these precautions are a necessary step in order to keep our students, faculty, staff, and monks safe.
The Abbey Church is open during the following times for students, faculty, and staff only:
- Sunday – 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM & 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Monday – 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Tuesday – 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Wednesday – 3:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Thursday – 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Friday – 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Saturday – 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Beginning on Sunday August 16, we will resume our “In-Session” Mass Schedule. In person attendance at Mass/Vespers is limited to students, faculty, and staff only and has limited seating (160 Upper Church & 50 Lady Chapel). Mass times are as follows:
- Sunday – 11 AM & 7 PM
- Monday through Friday – 5:15 PM
- Wednesday – 5:15 & 9 PM
- Saturday – 11:50 AM
The Abbey Church will be open Mondays through Fridays during the monastic celebration of Vespers. Those inside the Abbey Church may sit in the nave of the Church. The Choir area is open only to members of the monastic community. It is not possible to have the Church open for Morning and Daytime Prayer.
We are very grateful to those who have joined us these many months for Mass via livestream. At this time, as the College transitions to in-person instruction again, we need to scale back our livestream offerings so that resources can be reallocated where they are needed most. Mass will be regularly live-streamed at 7 PM on Sunday by clicking here and on Wednesday at 9 PM on the Campus Ministry Instagram Live. Check Abbey social media accounts for information on additional live-streamed Masses.
While in the Abbey Church
- Wear a Mask.
- Sanitize your hands regularly.
- Please comply with all posted signs and placards.
- Please comply with all instructions from staff members.
- The Lower Church Sacristy area is closed except for access to the handicap restrooms and scheduled programs.
- Only enter the Church through the 2 front doors. The handicap entrance is only available to those with a handicap need.
- The church pews may not be used except during Mass and schedule programming times.
- Wipe down any surfaces that you come in contact using provided materials.
Changes to the wedding policy are ongoing. Please contact Dr. Susan Gabert, Associate Dean of Students/Director of Campus Ministry at SGabert@anselm.edu